Remove server from gnus
Rainer M Krug
2014-09-11 08:29:51 UTC
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
Hi

I am using offlineimap to sync my email and it works nicely from gnus to
access my emails. Only this morning, offlineimap did not sync my gmail
account anymore. so I added my gmail account in my gnus.el.

Some time later, I figured out why offlineimap was not working anymore,
and I removed the imap+gmail definition (and all references to it) from
my gnus.el file.

But whenever I start gnus, the gmail server is still there and I can not
kill it. When I try to kill it with "k", I get the error message

,----
| gnus-server-kill-server: Read-only server nnimap:gmail
`----

I do not want to fiddle with my .gnusrc.eld file.

I finally managed thanks to backups, but there must be a better way?

I could only find this old answer, which is likely completely outdated [1].

Additionally: what is the correct procedure to remove a server from
gnus, which has been defined in the gnus.el file?

Thanks,

Rainer

Footnotes:
[1] http://www.theusenetarchive.com/usenet-message-how-to-kill-a-server-37906822.htm
--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982
Eric S Fraga
2014-09-13 06:31:54 UTC
Post by Rainer M Krug
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
[...]
Post by Rainer M Krug
But whenever I start gnus, the gmail server is still there and I can not
kill it. When I try to kill it with "k", I get the error message
,----
| gnus-server-kill-server: Read-only server nnimap:gmail
`----
I would like to know the answer to this as well. I have a number of
servers that are there for historical reasons and I also cannot seem to
be able to expunge them.

thanks,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.1 + Ma Gnus v0.12 + evil-git-c5fb03c
: BBDB version 3.0.50 (2013-11-16 11:30:49 -0600)
Steinar Bang
2014-09-14 06:33:38 UTC
Post by Eric S Fraga
I would like to know the answer to this as well. I have a number of
servers that are there for historical reasons and I also cannot seem
to be able to expunge them.
You have to kill all groups from that server. Then go to the server
buffer and do a 'k' to kill the server.

It may be that you have to exit gnus after killing all of the groups,
and restart gnus, possibly in a new emacs. Ditto for the servers in the
server buffer, I don't remember exactly.

But I have succeeded in ditching e.g. the now no-longer-existing
news.opera.no server from all of my gnusen (the most problematic was
getting gnus-sync to lose the server's groups).
Eric S Fraga
2014-09-15 08:57:39 UTC
Post by Steinar Bang
Post by Eric S Fraga
I would like to know the answer to this as well. I have a number of
servers that are there for historical reasons and I also cannot seem
to be able to expunge them.
You have to kill all groups from that server. Then go to the server
buffer and do a 'k' to kill the server.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.4.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.12 + evil-git-fcf84b5
: BBDB version 3.1.2 (2014-04-27 15:05:20 -0500)
Rainer M Krug
2014-09-15 09:14:15 UTC
Post by Steinar Bang
Post by Eric S Fraga
I would like to know the answer to this as well. I have a number of
servers that are there for historical reasons and I also cannot seem
to be able to expunge them.
You have to kill all groups from that server. Then go to the server
buffer and do a 'k' to kill the server.
It may be that you have to exit gnus after killing all of the groups,
and restart gnus, possibly in a new emacs. Ditto for the servers in the
server buffer, I don't remember exactly.
But I have succeeded in ditching e.g. the now no-longer-existing
news.opera.no server from all of my gnusen (the most problematic was
getting gnus-sync to lose the server's groups).
Thanks - I'll try it when I have a dead server sitting in gnus again.

Rainer
--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982
Eric Abrahamsen
2014-09-15 10:08:02 UTC
Post by Rainer M Krug
Post by Steinar Bang
Post by Eric S Fraga
I would like to know the answer to this as well. I have a number of
servers that are there for historical reasons and I also cannot seem
to be able to expunge them.
You have to kill all groups from that server. Then go to the server
buffer and do a 'k' to kill the server.
It may be that you have to exit gnus after killing all of the groups,
and restart gnus, possibly in a new emacs. Ditto for the servers in the
server buffer, I don't remember exactly.
But I have succeeded in ditching e.g. the now no-longer-existing
news.opera.no server from all of my gnusen (the most problematic was
getting gnus-sync to lose the server's groups).
Thanks - I'll try it when I have a dead server sitting in gnus again.
Rainer
It seems like if, at some point, we got around to removing the
distinction between `gnus-select-method' and
`gnus-secondary-select-methods', and just had a single list of servers,
that might be a good opportunity to make this process less terrible.