Xemacs (Mule) and GNU Emacs, problem with drafts and encoding.
Uwe Brauer
2015-05-27 12:51:12 UTC
Hello

I use gnus with both Emacsen. However the drafts which are saved are not
compatible with each other.

According to the documentation"

,----

| `message-draft-coding-system' is a variable declared in Lisp.
| -- loaded from "message"
|
| Value: escape-quoted
|
| Documentation:
| *Coding system to compose mail.
| If you'd like to make it possible to share draft files between XEmacs
| and Emacs, you may use `iso-2022-7bit' for this value at your own risk.
| Note that the coding-system `iso-2022-7bit' isn't suitable to all data.
`----

I tried that but this coding setting but alas it does not make the
drafts compatible.

Why does Xemacs not support the utf-8 coding for drafts, although in
general it does support this format?

regards

Uwe Brauer
Katsumi Yamaoka
2015-05-28 01:29:07 UTC
Post by Uwe Brauer
I tried that but this coding setting but alas it does not make the
drafts compatible.
Supposing you meant escape-quoted, it is the only real universal
coding system in XEmacs 21.5 and 21.4 (with Mule) AFAIK, but is
not available in Emacs. I think the iso-2022-7bit choice is not
so bad since the etc/HELLO file uses it in both Emacsen.
Post by Uwe Brauer
Why does Xemacs not support the utf-8 coding for drafts, although in
general it does support this format?
XEmacs 21.5 supports utf-8 natively but 21.4 requires the Mule-UCS
XEmacs package, that is a bit buggy, AFAIK.
Uwe Brauer
2015-05-28 09:26:45 UTC
Post by Katsumi Yamaoka
Post by Uwe Brauer
I tried that but this coding setting but alas it does not make the
drafts compatible.
Supposing you meant escape-quoted, it is the only real universal
coding system in XEmacs 21.5 and 21.4 (with Mule) AFAIK, but is
not available in Emacs. I think the iso-2022-7bit choice is not
so bad since the etc/HELLO file uses it in both Emacsen.
Hm when I use the setting
(setq message-draft-coding-system 'iso-2022-7bit)
and try to enter the draft folder I obtain an error I attach below
Post by Katsumi Yamaoka
Post by Uwe Brauer
Why does Xemacs not support the utf-8 coding for drafts, although in
general it does support this format?
XEmacs 21.5 supports utf-8 natively but 21.4 requires the Mule-UCS
XEmacs package, that is a bit buggy, AFAIK.
I am on 21.5.33 Mule, so utf8 should be supported, however

(setq message-draft-coding-system 'utf8)

Also gives me an error I attach
Katsumi Yamaoka
2015-05-29 02:46:00 UTC
On Thu, 28 May 2015 11:26:45 +0200, Uwe Brauer wrote:
[...]
Post by Uwe Brauer
I am on 21.5.33 Mule, so utf8 should be supported, however
(setq message-draft-coding-system 'utf8)
Also gives me an error I attach
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp
nil)
file-name-nondirectory(nil)
insert-file-contents("~/News/drafts/drafts/818")
It's strange. Could you load code-files.el, not code-files.elc,
and fetch the error again? [1]
code-files.el defines insert-file-contents, that calls
file-name-nondirectory, however I don't see why it gets nil as
an argument. I suspect it might not be related to the value of
message-draft-coding-system.

I got no error whatever the coding system is.

[1] To locate code-files.e, use `M-x locate-library'.