timeout when fetch new messages
Clemens Schüller
2014-05-31 13:29:04 UTC
Hello!

When I'm trying to fetch new messages (mail and news) with the g key
after a longer time, it runs into a timeout.

The only solution is to abort it with C-g and then R to restart gnus.

How can i fix this strange problem?
Best Regards, Clemens Schüller
Clemens Schüller
Best Regards, Clemens Schüller
Glyn Millington
2014-06-21 06:59:48 UTC
Post by Clemens Schüller
Hello!
Post by Clemens Schüller
Hello!
When I'm trying to fetch new messages (mail and news) with the g key
after a longer time, it runs into a timeout.
The only solution is to abort it with C-g and then R to restart gnus.
How can i fix this strange problem?
Anybody an idea?
Intermittent internet connection problems?

Some questions:

How often does this happen? Is this only when you use the g key - does it
stall when you start Gnus?

Any Gnus-related messages in the Messages buffer after this occurs?

Are you prepared to reveal the mail/news source sections of your .gnus,
passwords duly munged of course?

atb

Glyn
Clemens Schüller
2014-06-22 01:28:29 UTC
Hello!
Post by Glyn Millington
Intermittent internet connection problems?
No, all other internet based programs are working perfectly.
Post by Glyn Millington
How often does this happen? Is this only when you use the g key - does it
stall when you start Gnus?
Ok, when I start emacs/gnus the first time (with M-x gnus) it
works. After a _short_ time it also works normally with g

But: When I'm longer in inactivity (making a coffee and/or taking a
smoke :-) ), g ends in a hangup and I have to press C-g and R to restart
gnus. Then the new articles are there.
Post by Glyn Millington
Any Gnus-related messages in the Messages buffer after this occurs?
Nope, nothing.
Post by Glyn Millington
Are you prepared to reveal the mail/news source sections of your .gnus,
passwords duly munged of course?
In my .gnus are no select methods definied - I maked it in the server
buffer.

Excerpt from my .authinfo:

machine imap.mailbox.org login $USER port imaps password $PASSWORD
machine news.albasani.net login $USER password $PASSWORD
Best Regards, Clemens Schüller
lee
2014-09-08 00:38:13 UTC
Post by Clemens Schüller
Ok, when I start emacs/gnus the first time (with M-x gnus) it
works. After a _short_ time it also works normally with g
But: When I'm longer in inactivity (making a coffee and/or taking a
smoke :-) ), g ends in a hangup and I have to press C-g and R to restart
gnus. Then the new articles are there.
[...]
machine imap.mailbox.org login $USER port imaps password $PASSWORD
machine news.albasani.net login $USER password $PASSWORD
It could be that the process handling the secure connection has become
unresponsive. This might be fixed in more recent versions of emacs.
Knowledge is volatile and fluid. Software is power.
Ted Zlatanov
2014-09-24 21:17:52 UTC
Post by Clemens Schüller
Ok, when I start emacs/gnus the first time (with M-x gnus) it
works. After a _short_ time it also works normally with g
But: When I'm longer in inactivity (making a coffee and/or taking a
smoke :-) ), g ends in a hangup and I have to press C-g and R to restart
gnus. Then the new articles are there.
l> It could be that the process handling the secure connection has become
l> unresponsive. This might be fixed in more recent versions of emacs.

Unfortunately it looks like an old problem related to network timeouts.
See http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/81502 and this
has been brought up many other times.

It's not really a problem with secure connections specifically AFAIK,
but if you have evidence to the contrary, please share.

Ted