the trinity mailing list and problems with followups
Uwe Brauer
2014-11-11 21:13:44 UTC
Hello

I am subscribed to the trinity mailing list (kde3 for Ubuntu, debian
suse fedora etc).

Now a typical header of one of the message is like this

,----
| From: "Timothy Pearson" <***@pearsoncomputing.net>
| Subject: Re: [trinity-users] problem with the pgp key
| To: trinity-***@lists.pearsoncomputing.net
| Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 08:48:28 -0600
`----

So when I use gnus-summary-followup-with-original the message is sent to
the author and CC to the list, and some people complained, they want
just mails sent to the mailing list. So my question is:

Is (my) gnus mis configured or is the problem the mailing list set up?

thanks

Uwe Brauer
Leonidas Tsampros
2014-11-12 12:29:31 UTC
Post by Uwe Brauer
Hello
I am subscribed to the trinity mailing list (kde3 for Ubuntu, debian
suse fedora etc).
Now a typical header of one of the message is like this
,----
| Subject: Re: [trinity-users] problem with the pgp key
| Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 08:48:28 -0600
`----
So when I use gnus-summary-followup-with-original the message is sent to
the author and CC to the list, and some people complained, they want
Is (my) gnus mis configured or is the problem the mailing list set up?
thanks
Uwe Brauer
I think it depends on what keypress you use to reply. For example I
pressed F on your email in Gnus and the unsent had just ding in the TO:
header.

I can't see any option in my config that would affect this but you never
know with Gnus.
Eric S Fraga
2014-11-12 14:04:10 UTC
Post by Uwe Brauer
Hello
I am subscribed to the trinity mailing list (kde3 for Ubuntu, debian
suse fedora etc).
Now a typical header of one of the message is like this
,----
| Subject: Re: [trinity-users] problem with the pgp key
| Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 08:48:28 -0600
`----
So when I use gnus-summary-followup-with-original the message is sent to
the author and CC to the list, and some people complained, they want
Is (my) gnus mis configured or is the problem the mailing list set up?
If you compare that email to those that come to me via the gnus mailing
list, the latter includes a Mail-Followup-To: header with a value of
"***@gnus.org" so maybe the Trinity mailing list should do the same?
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 25.0.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.12 + evil-git-1a8f9bd
: BBDB version 3.1.2 (2014-05-06 11:45:08 -0500)
Malcolm Purvis
2014-11-12 21:33:07 UTC
Uwe> So when I use gnus-summary-followup-with-original the message is
Uwe> sent to the author and CC to the list, and some people complained,
Uwe> they want just mails sent to the mailing list.

The group parameters 'to-address', 'to-list' and 'subscribed' control
which addresses are used when you reply to. For example, for ding I
have the following group parameters.

("ding-gnus"
(to-address . "***@gnus.org")
(to-list . "***@gnus.org")
(subscribed . t)
(total-expire . t)
(expiry-target . delete)
)

Malcolm
Malcolm Purvis <***@xemacs.org>
Uwe Brauer
2014-11-13 08:37:23 UTC
Post by Malcolm Purvis
The group parameters 'to-address', 'to-list' and 'subscribed' control
which addresses are used when you reply to. For example, for ding I
have the following group parameters.
("ding-gnus"
(subscribed . t)
(total-expire . t)
(expiry-target . delete)
)
thanks this was helpful. I changed the setting and now everything seems
fine.

Uwe