weird headers
Sharon Kimble
2014-08-31 17:44:49 UTC
I'm having big problems in reading emails and news posts in gnus in that
everything is showing with *all* of their headings, like this one -

From: ***@london (Cron Daemon)
To: ***@localhost
Subject: Cron <***@london> /usr/bin/apt-get update
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 12:00:26 +0100

I've looked back through the archives from this year but can't find a
solution. So, how do I get it just to have normal, sensible headers like
"From, Subject, To, Date" please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.93.1
Dave Goldberg
2014-09-05 01:57:16 UTC
Post by Sharon Kimble
I'm having big problems in reading emails and news posts in gnus in that
everything is showing with *all* of their headings, like this one -
[...]
Post by Sharon Kimble
I've looked back through the archives from this year but can't find a
solution. So, how do I get it just to have normal, sensible headers like
"From, Subject, To, Date" please?
Have you perhaps customized either of gnus-ignored-headers or gnus-show-all-headers away from their defaults?

When I've run into things like this I run emacs -q then open my .emacs and manually eval just enough to set up the basic gnus connectivity (servers and not much else) and see if it works the way I expect with default settings. Then it's a matter of eval'ing my customizations until I find the one I've messed up.
--
Dave Goldberg
***@verizon.net
Sharon Kimble
2014-09-05 12:05:57 UTC
Thanks for this Dave, I've ended up building a new '.gnus.el' which more
or less works. It has this line in it -
╭────
│(setq gnus-visible-headers "^From:\\|^Subject:\\|^Date:\\|^Reply-to:\\|^To:")
╰────

which only works if I toggle it with "t" whilst somewhere in the header
or summary pane. But how do I make it appear "true" for each and every
email, rss post and newsgroup post please? I copied it from
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Hiding-Headers.html
and just expanded it to fit my needs.

Dave Goldberg
2014-09-06 22:14:18 UTC
Post by Sharon Kimble
Thanks for this Dave, I've ended up building a new '.gnus.el' which more
or less works. It has this line in it -
╭────
│(setq gnus-visible-headers "^From:\\|^Subject:\\|^Date:\\|^Reply-to:\\|^To:")
╰────
which only works if I toggle it with "t" whilst somewhere in the header
or summary pane. But how do I make it appear "true" for each and every
email, rss post and newsgroup post please? I copied it from
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Hiding-Headers.html
and just expanded it to fit my needs.
I only see that happen if I set gnus-show-all-headers to t. Perhaps you have that set somewhere?
--
Dave Goldberg
***@verizon.net
Sharon Kimble
2014-09-07 07:39:02 UTC
Post by Dave Goldberg
Post by Sharon Kimble
Thanks for this Dave, I've ended up building a new '.gnus.el' which more
or less works. It has this line in it -
╭────
│(setq gnus-visible-headers "^From:\\|^Subject:\\|^Date:\\|^Reply-to:\\|^To:")
╰────
which only works if I toggle it with "t" whilst somewhere in the header
or summary pane. But how do I make it appear "true" for each and every
email, rss post and newsgroup post please? I copied it from
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Hiding-Headers.html
and just expanded it to fit my needs.
I only see that happen if I set gnus-show-all-headers to t. Perhaps you have that set somewhere?
Nope, not in gnus.el, nor in custom.el, and neither in init.el. But as I
said in my post entitled "gnus uses a cache?" this is one of the
problems that sorts itself out! Meaning, it is no longer a problem as
its working OK.