nnimap: article list is not correct.
Uwe Brauer
2015-01-21 14:07:47 UTC
Hello

I have connected gnus to my gmail account via nnimap. (No agent involved)

My INBOX was large (5042 messages) and I reduced it drastically using
thunderbird (since this is faster).

Now the INBOX contains 115 messages.

However when I try to enter the INBOX (group) gnus keeps telling me that
it contains 5042 and offers me to show 200, when I do this, I only see
19 messages (read). When I demand to see 5042 he shows me the 115
messages which are actually in that INBOX.

It seems that some index needs to be actualised but how?
I tried gnus-expunge-group, without success.

Any help is appreciated.

Uwe Brauer
e***@ucl.ac.uk
2015-01-21 15:41:50 UTC
On Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 at 15:07, Uwe Brauer wrote:

[...]
Post by Uwe Brauer
It seems that some index needs to be actualised but how?
I tried gnus-expunge-group, without success.
Any help is appreciated.
I have found that typing M-g on the group line in the group buffer
sometimes helps.
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.4.1 + Ma Gnus v0.12 + evil-git-2748228
: BBDB version 3.0.50 (2013-11-16 11:30:49 -0600)
Uwe Brauer
2015-01-21 17:39:53 UTC
Post by e***@ucl.ac.uk
[...]
Post by Uwe Brauer
It seems that some index needs to be actualised but how?
I tried gnus-expunge-group, without success.
Any help is appreciated.
I have found that typing M-g on the group line in the group buffer
sometimes helps.
Thanks! I killed the group and then re-subscribed and that helped as
well.
Steinar Bang
2015-01-21 21:00:28 UTC
Post by Uwe Brauer
Post by e***@ucl.ac.uk
[...]
Post by Uwe Brauer
It seems that some index needs to be actualised but how?
I tried gnus-expunge-group, without success.
Any help is appreciated.
I have found that typing M-g on the group line in the group buffer
sometimes helps.
Ah, yes. With M-g on the group it does a full update of the marks the
same way the old nnimap backend does ("UID FETCH FLAGS 1:*", I think),
but with a 'g' in the group buffer it uses QRESYNC together with the
information cached in .newsrc.eld.

Using QRESYNC failed on some servers in the early days of the rewritten
nnimap.

Using dovecot, I haven't seen any issues since the new nnimap was new
and still work in progress (August to November 2010, according to the
git log, 1b47313d04b1f29cc08ba329375cbb7aba0a6c33 seems to be the
earliest change).
Post by Uwe Brauer
Thanks! I killed the group and then re-subscribed and that helped as
well.
Well, if it crops up again, try M-g.

What IMAP server is this?
Uwe Brauer
2015-01-21 22:22:37 UTC
Post by Steinar Bang
Ah, yes. With M-g on the group it does a full update of the marks the
same way the old nnimap backend does ("UID FETCH FLAGS 1:*", I think),
but with a 'g' in the group buffer it uses QRESYNC together with the
information cached in .newsrc.eld.
Using QRESYNC failed on some servers in the early days of the rewritten
nnimap.
Using dovecot, I haven't seen any issues since the new nnimap was new
and still work in progress (August to November 2010, according to the
git log, 1b47313d04b1f29cc08ba329375cbb7aba0a6c33 seems to be the
earliest change).
Well, if it crops up again, try M-g.
ok
Post by Steinar Bang
What IMAP server is this?
Gmail, for which unfortunately offlineimap and dovecot did not work well
(while they worked nicely with other, real imap servers)