Search gwene from gnus?
Rainer M Krug
2014-09-23 08:47:42 UTC
And while we are at the topic searching:

Can I search gwene. groups from gnus? When trying to search them, I get
the message:

,----
| Can't search non-gmane groups: gwene.com.feedburner.neulich.im.garten
`----

Any way that I can search them from gnus?

Thanks,

Rainer
--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982
Ted Zlatanov
2014-09-23 19:53:10 UTC
On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:47:42 +0200 Rainer M Krug <***@krugs.de> wrote:

RMK> And while we are at the topic searching:
RMK> Can I search gwene. groups from gnus? When trying to search them, I get
RMK> the message:

RMK> ,----
RMK> | Can't search non-gmane groups: gwene.com.feedburner.neulich.im.garten
RMK> `----

RMK> Any way that I can search them from gnus?

On the Gnus side this can be trivially fixed in nnir.el, but
http://search.gmane.org/nov.php doesn't support searching gwene groups.

So I would ask in gmane.discuss if Lars doesn't see your request here.

Ted
Rainer M Krug
2014-09-24 07:26:53 UTC
Post by Ted Zlatanov
RMK> Can I search gwene. groups from gnus? When trying to search them, I get
RMK> ,----
RMK> | Can't search non-gmane groups: gwene.com.feedburner.neulich.im.garten
RMK> `----
RMK> Any way that I can search them from gnus?
On the Gnus side this can be trivially fixed in nnir.el, but
http://search.gmane.org/nov.php doesn't support searching gwene groups.
So I would ask in gmane.discuss if Lars doesn't see your request here.
Good to know - I will do so.

Thanks,

Rainer
Post by Ted Zlatanov
Ted
--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982
Adam Sjøgren
2014-09-24 08:37:27 UTC
Post by Rainer M Krug
Can I search gwene. groups from gnus?
Does Gwene have search?

Best regards,

Adam
--
"if we are questioned, we tell the observers, april Adam Sjøgren
fools, and leave the area before you are also fooled ***@koldfront.dk
by this day with our bricks."
Rainer M Krug
2014-09-24 08:54:27 UTC
Post by Adam Sjøgren
Post by Rainer M Krug
Can I search gwene. groups from gnus?
Does Gwene have search?
I don't know - as gwene sits under gmane, I thought that a search should
work there as well.

Cheers,

Rainer
Post by Adam Sjøgren
Best regards,
Adam
--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982
Adam Sjøgren
2014-09-24 13:50:21 UTC
Post by Rainer M Krug
Post by Adam Sjøgren
Does Gwene have search?
I don't know - as gwene sits under gmane, I thought that a search should
work there as well.
I can't see any search on http://gwene.org/ so I assumed that there was
no such thing.

:-),

Adam
--
"Your editor, having been blissfully unaware of the Adam Sjøgren
scourge of unnecessary calculators just waiting for ***@koldfront.dk
yet come to love the new way of doing things."
Steinar Bang
2014-09-24 15:03:41 UTC
Post by Adam Sjøgren
Post by Rainer M Krug
Post by Adam Sjøgren
Does Gwene have search?
I don't know - as gwene sits under gmane, I thought that a search should
work there as well.
I can't see any search on http://gwene.org/ so I assumed that there was
no such thing.
At one point in time they used the same news spool (and the same INN to
serve it). I don't know if this is still the case...?

And even if this still is the case, I don't know if xapien indexes the
entire spool, or just the gmane.* hierarchy...?
Adam Sjøgren
2014-09-24 19:45:39 UTC
Post by Steinar Bang
At one point in time they used the same news spool (and the same INN to
serve it). I don't know if this is still the case...?
They still do, you can see the gmane.* groups on news.gwene.org and vice
versa.
Post by Steinar Bang
And even if this still is the case, I don't know if xapien indexes the
entire spool, or just the gmane.* hierarchy...?
I guess it does not index gwene, as searching for a gwene-group gives an
error.

I'm not sure it makes much sense for it index gwene - there exist good
search engines for the web (but not for mailing lists, before
search.gmane.org - at least in my humble opinion).

Best regards,

Adam
--
"Denial springs eternal." Adam Sjøgren
***@koldfront.dk
Ted Zlatanov
2014-09-24 20:41:58 UTC
On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 21:45:39 +0200 ***@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) wrote:

AS> I'm not sure it makes much sense for it index gwene - there exist good
AS> search engines for the web (but not for mailing lists, before
AS> search.gmane.org - at least in my humble opinion).

It makes sense to me. At the very least I don't have to leave Gnus!

Ted
Rainer M Krug
2014-09-25 10:22:31 UTC
Post by Ted Zlatanov
AS> I'm not sure it makes much sense for it index gwene - there exist good
AS> search engines for the web (but not for mailing lists, before
AS> search.gmane.org - at least in my humble opinion).
It makes sense to me. At the very least I don't have to leave Gnus!
I think it makes a lot of sense. Feeds contain information in the same
way newsgroups do - and searching these would be very valuable to me.

Cheers,

Rainer
Post by Ted Zlatanov
Ted