MS Live calendar integration with gnus
Eric S Fraga
2015-09-15 15:11:26 UTC

for a while now, I've been able to process calendar events generated by
MS Live (Exchange) and, even better, integrate these with my org
setup. The processing included being able to accept/decline
events. However, recently, the option to accept or decline events has
disappeared from what is presented in gnus.

I know what the Live server has changed recently. I wonder if anybody
else has experience this change and whether there is anything that I can
do on the gnus end to get the old behaviour back? The inner workings of
Exchange/Live and the format of the emails I get from such a server
using IMAP are unclear to me unfortunately.

I note that gnus-icalendar.el has not changed in months.

Thanks,
eric
Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D)
Adam Sjøgren
2015-09-15 15:30:41 UTC
Post by Eric S Fraga
Hi,
for a while now, I've been able to process calendar events generated by
MS Live (Exchange) and, even better, integrate these with my org
setup. The processing included being able to accept/decline
events. However, recently, the option to accept or decline events has
disappeared from what is presented in gnus.
I think I had that problem when receiving event information for someone
that Gnus et al didn't think was me.

I.e. when a meeting was adressed to a group that I am a member of.

Ah, here it is:

,----[ C-h v gnus-icalendar-additional-identities RET ]
| gnus-icalendar-additional-identities is a variable defined in `gnus-icalendar.el'.
| Its value is
| ("...", "blah", ...)
|
| Original value was nil
|
| Documentation:
| We need to know your identity to make replies to calendar requests work.
|
| Gnus will only offer you the Accept/Tentative/Decline buttons for
| calendar events if any of your identities matches at least one
| RSVP participant.
|
| Your identity is guessed automatically from the variables
| `user-full-name', `user-mail-address',
| `gnus-ignored-from-addresses' and `message-alternative-emails'.
|
| If you need even more aliases you can define them here. It really
| only makes sense to define names or email addresses.
`----

Does adjusting that help?

Best regards,

Adam
--
"You have to photosynthesize" Adam Sjøgren
***@koldfront.dk
Eric S Fraga
2015-09-15 16:00:04 UTC
Post by Adam Sjøgren
Post by Eric S Fraga
Hi,
for a while now, I've been able to process calendar events generated by
MS Live (Exchange) and, even better, integrate these with my org
setup. The processing included being able to accept/decline
events. However, recently, the option to accept or decline events has
disappeared from what is presented in gnus.
I think I had that problem when receiving event information for someone
that Gnus et al didn't think was me.
I.e. when a meeting was adressed to a group that I am a member of.
Bingo!

Actually, my problem ended being partly this but also fundamentally that
I was still using an old version of gnus-icalendar, one called
gnus-calendar by the same author (Jan Tatarik) but which hadn't been
updated for 2 years... I don't know how I missed the move from
gnus-calendar to gnus-icalendar but you pointing me to a variable that
didn't exist (in my configuration) sure helped sort this out! ;-)

So heads up anybody still using gnus-calendar...

Thanks for the help,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 25.0.50.2 + Ma Gnus v0.14 + evil-git-ff74cfb