how to line-wrap?
Sharon Kimble
2014-07-22 06:18:42 UTC
Yesterday I had to do some major surgery on my ".newsrc-dribble" as two
sites that I get an RSS feed from were online but timing out all the
time, and this was stopping me from starting gnus. I did the surgery by
renaming ".newsrc-dribble" and starting anew with a blank one. Once I
had doctored the old one by deleting the problematic RSS feeds from the
file, I re-instated it and started gnus with no problems. Except, now
*every* email that I am receiving is not line-wrapping at 68 characters
but is going to the window borders, and in some cases its going beyond
them!

I have this in my .gnus file
(add-hook 'message-mode-hook
(lambda ()
(setq fill-column 68)
(turn-on-auto-fill)))

What else should I do please to regain sensible line-wrapping?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.92.1
Alberto Luaces
2014-07-22 07:09:36 UTC
Post by Sharon Kimble
Yesterday I had to do some major surgery on my ".newsrc-dribble" as two
sites that I get an RSS feed from were online but timing out all the
time, and this was stopping me from starting gnus.
Just FYI, there is `gnus-no-server' for starting gnus without trying to
connect to any server.
Alberto
Eric Abrahamsen
2014-07-22 07:14:49 UTC
Post by Sharon Kimble
[...]
I have no idea why messing with newsrc-dribble would affect this, but my
guess is you may have changed the value of one of these variables:

‘gnus-treat-fill-article’
‘gnus-treat-fill-long-lines’

Can you show us their value?

The message-mode-hook would only affect the outgoing message you
compose, not the display of received messages.

Eric
Sharon Kimble
2014-07-22 16:27:45 UTC
Post by Eric Abrahamsen
Post by Sharon Kimble
[...]
Thanks for this Eric.

The answers are -
gnus-treat-fill-article = nil
gnus-treat-fill-long-lines = (typep "text/plain")

Tassilo Horn
2014-07-22 21:22:57 UTC
Sharon Kimble <***@skimble.plus.com> writes:

Hi Sharon,
Post by Sharon Kimble
I have this in my .gnus file
(add-hook 'message-mode-hook
(lambda ()
(setq fill-column 68)
(turn-on-auto-fill)))
message-mode is the mode to write emails/newsgroup postings in, so it
has nothing to do with how articles are formatted that you're receiving.
Post by Sharon Kimble
What else should I do please to regain sensible line-wrapping?
You can wrap the current viewed article by typing `W w' in either the
summary or the article buffer.

,----[ W w ]
| W w runs the command gnus-article-fill-cited-article (found in
| gnus-summary-mode-map), which is an interactive autoloaded compiled Lisp
| function in `gnus-cite.el'.
|
| It is bound to W w, <menu-bar> <Article> <Washing> <Word wrap>.
|
| (gnus-article-fill-cited-article &optional WIDTH LONG-LINES)
|
| Do word wrapping in the current article.
| If WIDTH (the numerical prefix), use that text width when
| filling. If LONG-LINES, only fill sections that have lines
| longer than the frame width.
`----

However, that wrapping was performed automatically before swapping your
.newsrc-dribble and now isn't anymore is really strange.

Bye,
Tassilo
Sharon Kimble
2014-07-22 21:55:56 UTC
Post by Tassilo Horn
Hi Sharon,
Post by Sharon Kimble
What else should I do please to regain sensible line-wrapping?
You can wrap the current viewed article by typing `W w' in either the
summary or the article buffer.
,----[ W w ]
| W w runs the command gnus-article-fill-cited-article (found in
| gnus-summary-mode-map), which is an interactive autoloaded compiled Lisp
| function in `gnus-cite.el'.
|
| It is bound to W w, <menu-bar> <Article> <Washing> <Word wrap>.
|
| (gnus-article-fill-cited-article &optional WIDTH LONG-LINES)
|
| Do word wrapping in the current article.
| If WIDTH (the numerical prefix), use that text width when
| filling. If LONG-LINES, only fill sections that have lines
| longer than the frame width.
`----
Thanks for this Tassilo, but what can I put in my .gnus so that every
message that I receive is auto-magically wrapped?

Tassilo Horn
2014-07-23 07:53:09 UTC

`----
Thanks for this Tassilo, but what can I put in my .gnus so that every
message that I receive is auto-magically wrapped?
I think, this might do the trick (but I haven't tried it):

(setq gnus-treat-fill-article t)

And it might break, e.g., ASCII art images, someone has in his mail.

Bye,
Tassilo
Sharon Kimble
2014-07-24 14:04:47 UTC
Post by Tassilo Horn
Hi Sharon,
Post by Sharon Kimble
Post by Tassilo Horn
,----[ W w ]
| W w runs the command gnus-article-fill-cited-article (found in
| gnus-summary-mode-map), which is an interactive autoloaded
| compiled Lisp function in `gnus-cite.el'.
|
| It is bound to W w, <menu-bar> <Article> <Washing> <Word wrap>.
|
| (gnus-article-fill-cited-article &optional WIDTH LONG-LINES)
|
| Do word wrapping in the current article. If WIDTH (the numerical
| prefix), use that text width when filling. If LONG-LINES, only
| fill sections that have lines longer than the frame width.
`----
Thanks for this Tassilo, but what can I put in my .gnus so that
every message that I receive is auto-magically wrapped?
(setq gnus-treat-fill-article t)
And it might break, e.g., ASCII art images, someone has in his mail.
Thanks Tassilo.

This works but breaks "boxquote-regions" and any "source-code blocks"
unless enclosed with -
;--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
;--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I've tried using "W w" on these regions or messages, but I'm not able
to toggle it.

Is it possible for it to be re-written so that it could be used as a
"toggle-command" please?

Tassilo Horn
2014-07-25 06:42:12 UTC

Post by Sharon Kimble
Post by Tassilo Horn
(setq gnus-treat-fill-article t)
And it might break, e.g., ASCII art images, someone has in his mail.
This works but breaks "boxquote-regions" and any "source-code blocks"
unless enclosed with -
;--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Yes, that's what I've guessed.
Post by Sharon Kimble
I've tried using "W w" on these regions or messages, but I'm not able
to toggle it.
No, `W w' is no toggle. It just word-wraps you article buffer and
doesn't remember how it looked unwrapped. It's also always applied to
the complete message, i.e., you can't tell it to apply only to a region.

Bye,
Tassilo