fetching old headers
Peter Davis
2014-10-21 19:42:25 UTC
I'm using gnus v5.13 on 3 different Macs, all using the same .gnus.el
file. On all three, gnus-fetch-old-headers is set to t. Also, they're
all reading via nnimap from the same IMAP server.

Yet the gnus-fetch-old-headers only seems to work on one of them. I only
see earlier messages in the thread, marked with O, on one machine.

Is there something else, some other variable or state, that could affect
this behavior?

Thank you!

-pd
Lars Ingebrigtsen
2015-01-26 04:45:05 UTC
Post by Peter Davis
I'm using gnus v5.13 on 3 different Macs, all using the same .gnus.el
file. On all three, gnus-fetch-old-headers is set to t. Also, they're
all reading via nnimap from the same IMAP server.
Yet the gnus-fetch-old-headers only seems to work on one of them. I only
see earlier messages in the thread, marked with O, on one machine.
Is there something else, some other variable or state, that could affect
this behavior?
Are you using the same Emacs version on all three machines? And are you
using the Agent?
Peter Davis
2015-01-26 13:10:04 UTC
Post by Lars Ingebrigtsen
Post by Peter Davis
I'm using gnus v5.13 on 3 different Macs, all using the same .gnus.el
file. On all three, gnus-fetch-old-headers is set to t. Also, they're
all reading via nnimap from the same IMAP server.
Yet the gnus-fetch-old-headers only seems to work on one of them. I only
see earlier messages in the thread, marked with O, on one machine.
Is there something else, some other variable or state, that could affect
this behavior?
Are you using the same Emacs version on all three machines? And are you
using the Agent?
Evidently not (though I thought I was.) The one that's showing old
headers is running
Aquamacs 3.2 GNU Emacs 24.4.51.2,
but the other two are running
Aquamacs 3.0 GNU Emacs 24.3.50.2

So maybe that's it. I'll try upgrading the other machines.

As for Agent, I'm not working offline, so I thought that was not
relevant.

Thanks!

-pd
Peter Davis
2015-01-28 23:48:57 UTC
Post by Peter Davis
Post by Lars Ingebrigtsen
Post by Peter Davis
I'm using gnus v5.13 on 3 different Macs, all using the same .gnus.el
file. On all three, gnus-fetch-old-headers is set to t. Also, they're
all reading via nnimap from the same IMAP server.
Yet the gnus-fetch-old-headers only seems to work on one of them. I only
see earlier messages in the thread, marked with O, on one machine.
Is there something else, some other variable or state, that could affect
this behavior?
Are you using the same Emacs version on all three machines? And are you
using the Agent?
Evidently not (though I thought I was.) The one that's showing old
headers is running
Aquamacs 3.2 GNU Emacs 24.4.51.2,
but the other two are running
Aquamacs 3.0 GNU Emacs 24.3.50.2
So maybe that's it. I'll try upgrading the other machines.
Well, I've upgraded one of the other ones to Aquamacs 3.2 GNU Emacs
24.4.51.2, but I'm still not getting old headers.
Post by Peter Davis
As for Agent, I'm not working offline, so I thought that was not
relevant.
Is this apt to make a difference? I don't know anything about Agent, or
what to do with it.

Thanks,
-pd
Lars Ingebrigtsen
2015-01-29 01:35:23 UTC
Post by Peter Davis
Well, I've upgraded one of the other ones to Aquamacs 3.2 GNU Emacs
24.4.51.2, but I'm still not getting old headers.
(setq gnus-fetch-old-headers t)

fetches a *lot* of headers for me when I try it. What are the symptoms
you're seeing?
Peter Davis
2015-01-29 01:44:43 UTC
Post by Lars Ingebrigtsen
Post by Peter Davis
Well, I've upgraded one of the other ones to Aquamacs 3.2 GNU Emacs
24.4.51.2, but I'm still not getting old headers.
(setq gnus-fetch-old-headers t)
fetches a *lot* of headers for me when I try it. What are the symptoms
you're seeing?
To recap, two Macs running Aquamacs 3.2 (GNU Emacs 24.4.51.2), both with
the same gnus.el file and connecting to the same IMAP service
(fastmail.fm), both with gnus-fetch-old-headers set to t, but only one
shows the old headers.

So, there's some *other* setting somewhere that affects the old headers,
that's presumably getting set in .emacs or somewhere else. But I can't
find any hint of what that might be.

Thanks,
-pd
Lars Ingebrigtsen
2015-01-29 02:34:40 UTC
Post by Peter Davis
So, there's some *other* setting somewhere that affects the old headers,
that's presumably getting set in .emacs or somewhere else. But I can't
find any hint of what that might be.
Look under the ~/News directory for cache/agent directories. Those
might affect how this stuff works, even though they shouldn't.