Something similar to offlineimap for news server (gmane) and smtp?
Rainer M Krug
2014-10-18 15:02:27 UTC
Hi

I really like my mail setup with offlineimap. There are only two things
I would like to have:

1) something similar to offlineimap for gmane, so that I can download my
news into a local news server and then read it when offline and

2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or can
I do this in gnus?)

Any tips on how I could achieve this? I would, particularly for 1,
prefer out of gnus solutions.

Thanks,

Rainer
--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982
Rainer M Krug
2014-10-18 15:10:19 UTC
Sorry - forgot os: OS X, using homebrew.

For 2) postfix seems to be the solution - see
e.g. http://www.checkmarkmedia.com/node/10

Cheers,

Rainer
PGP: 0x0F52F982
Adam Sjøgren
2014-10-18 15:25:08 UTC
Post by Rainer M Krug
1) something similar to offlineimap for gmane, so that I can download my
news into a local news server and then read it when offline and
Isn't this the exact use-case for the Gnus Agent?
Post by Rainer M Krug
2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or can
I do this in gnus?)
You could save your outgoing messages as drafts, and then send them when
online, but it isn't quite as automated as installing an MTA locally.
Post by Rainer M Krug
Any tips on how I could achieve this? I would, particularly for 1,
prefer out of gnus solutions.
Because?

I guess Leafnode could be used - just be careful that you don't ask it
to download the entire Linux kernel mailing list or similar, because
you'll probably be auto-blocked from Gmane.

Best regards,

Adam
--
"No more than that, but very powerful all the same; Adam Sjøgren
simple things are good." ***@koldfront.dk
Rainer M Krug
2014-11-07 09:24:51 UTC
Post by Adam Sjøgren
Post by Rainer M Krug
1) something similar to offlineimap for gmane, so that I can download my
news into a local news server and then read it when offline and
Isn't this the exact use-case for the Gnus Agent?
I just realized that - J s is the solution here. Never looked at the
agent before...
Post by Adam Sjøgren
Post by Rainer M Krug
2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or can
I do this in gnus?)
You could save your outgoing messages as drafts, and then send them when
online, but it isn't quite as automated as installing an MTA locally.
As Eric F. pointed out, here is the agent also the solution.
Post by Adam Sjøgren
Post by Rainer M Krug
Any tips on how I could achieve this? I would, particularly for 1,
prefer out of gnus solutions.
Because?
I don't know - probably because I am using dovecot locally and like the
freedom to have a simple configuration for all mail / news clients I
use? By using a local solution, I could specify my newsgroups oce
(e.g. in leafnode as you say) and then simply connect from my news
client to leafnode and have all newsgroups there.
Post by Adam Sjøgren
I guess Leafnode could be used - just be careful that you don't ask it
to download the entire Linux kernel mailing list or similar, because
you'll probably be auto-blocked from Gmane.
Thanks - I'll look into leafnode then.

Rainer
Post by Adam Sjøgren
Best regards,
Adam
--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982
Glyn Millington

Glyn
Rainer M Krug
2014-11-07 09:28:13 UTC
Post by Adam Sjøgren
Post by Rainer M Krug
Hi
I really like my mail setup with offlineimap. There are only two things
1) something similar to offlineimap for gmane, so that I can download my
news into a local news server and then read it when offline and
Leafnode
Thanks

Rainer
Post by Adam Sjøgren
atb
Glyn
--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982
Eric Abrahamsen
2014-10-19 02:57:11 UTC
Post by Rainer M Krug
Hi
I really like my mail setup with offlineimap. There are only two things
1) something similar to offlineimap for gmane, so that I can download my
news into a local news server and then read it when offline and
2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or can
I do this in gnus?)
If you use msmtp, there's a set of scripts floating around called msmtp
queue that does this. I've though about trying it out, but haven't yet,
as there's a whiff of baling-wire-and-duct-tape about it, but maybe
that's unfair.

Anyway, another possibility.
Rainer
Rainer M Krug
2014-11-07 09:11:52 UTC
Post by Eric Abrahamsen
Post by Rainer M Krug
Hi
I really like my mail setup with offlineimap. There are only two things
1) something similar to offlineimap for gmane, so that I can download my
news into a local news server and then read it when offline and
2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or can
I do this in gnus?)
If you use msmtp, there's a set of scripts floating around called msmtp
queue that does this. I've though about trying it out, but haven't yet,
as there's a whiff of baling-wire-and-duct-tape about it, but maybe
that's unfair.
Yes - I think I am using msmtp, but for the moment I'll stick with Eric
F.'s suggestion, as it does not require any changes in the system.

Cheers,

Rainer
PGP: 0x0F52F982
Eric S Fraga
2014-10-21 08:32:59 UTC
On Saturday, 18 Oct 2014 at 17:02, Rainer M Krug wrote:

[...]
Post by Rainer M Krug
2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or can
I do this in gnus?)
gnus does this if you use "plugging" and "unplugging". This may depend
on enabling the gnus agent system. If unplugged, any email you send
gets put in a gnus queue. All emails in the queue will be sent when you
"plug" back in (J j).

I use this all the time. I read my emails on the commute to and from
work and write all my responses while on the train. When I get to the
office or home and reconnect to the network, all my emails get sent.
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 25.0.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.12 + evil-git-59cdb8f
: BBDB version 3.1.2 (2014-05-06 11:45:08 -0500)
Rainer M Krug
2014-11-07 09:10:28 UTC
Post by Eric S Fraga
[...]
Post by Rainer M Krug
2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or can
I do this in gnus?)
gnus does this if you use "plugging" and "unplugging". This may depend
on enabling the gnus agent system. If unplugged, any email you send
gets put in a gnus queue. All emails in the queue will be sent when you
"plug" back in (J j).
Thanks - haven't thought about that - easy to use, no configuration
needed, so I'll use it.

Thanks
PGP: 0x0F52F982
Tassilo Horn
2014-11-07 09:38:50 UTC
Rainer M Krug <***@krugs.de> writes:

Hi Rainer,
Post by Rainer M Krug
I really like my mail setup with offlineimap. There are only two
1) something similar to offlineimap for gmane, so that I can download
my news into a local news server and then read it when offline and
As others already suggested, using the gnus agent is probably the best
approach (and I also use that). But anyway, similar to offlineimap but
for newsgroups is the local newsserver leafnode. In that, you can
configure many remote nntp servers, say, gmane and the one you use for
traditional nntp groups, and then you simply connect to localhost from
within gnus and see all usenet and gmane groups.
Post by Rainer M Krug
2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or
can I do this in gnus?)
When you save a mail/posting during composition, it'll be stored in your
drafts group. So if you are offline, just save it and kill the buffer.
Then you can send it later when you're online again.

Of course, that's far from automatic but it works well enough for me.
The good thing about it that you can be really sure if and when your
mails have been sent.

Bye,
Tassilo
Rainer M Krug
2014-11-10 09:08:40 UTC
Post by Tassilo Horn
Hi Rainer,
Post by Rainer M Krug
2) a local smtp relay (I think this is the right word) to which I can
send email but which is really sending them out once I am online (or
can I do this in gnus?)
When you save a mail/posting during composition, it'll be stored in your
drafts group. So if you are offline, just save it and kill the buffer.
Then you can send it later when you're online again.
Of course, that's far from automatic but it works well enough for me.
The good thing about it that you can be really sure if and when your
mails have been sent.
Thanks - this all makes sense and I will use see if I can get
comfortable with this approach.

Cheers,

Rainer
Post by Tassilo Horn