ticks, marks, flags (gmail starred)
Uwe Brauer
2015-05-23 08:34:17 UTC
Hello

I connect via imap to my gmail account using gnus.
Usually I use ! `gnus-summary-tick-article-forward'
and M-u to untick the messages.

A ticked message understood by gmail as starred and by thunderbird as
flagged.

What puzzles me is the gnus `u'
which sets the * mark.

I don't have any use for this mark, but I cannot remove it.
I googled and don't see a way to get rid of it, any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer
Adam Sjøgren
2015-05-23 10:48:28 UTC
Post by Uwe Brauer
What puzzles me is the gnus `u'
which sets the * mark.
On my machine u (gnus-summary-tick-article-forward) sets '!',
while * (gnus-cache-enter-article) sets '*'. I can remove it
with M-* (gnus-cache-remove-article), maybe that works for you?

Best regards,

Adam
--
"Eternal evil Adam Sjøgren
Yeah it stares behind the desk" ***@koldfront.dk
Dan Christensen
2015-05-23 23:14:54 UTC
Post by Uwe Brauer
I connect via imap to my gmail account using gnus.
Usually I use ! `gnus-summary-tick-article-forward'
and M-u to untick the messages.
A ticked message understood by gmail as starred and by thunderbird as
flagged.
What puzzles me is the gnus `u'
which sets the * mark.
If you have gnus-use-cache set to t, then when you tick an article,
it is also cached, which is indicated with a * mark. Depending on
your gnus-summary-line-format variable, you might only see the *
mark when the tick mark is removed.

Also, when you mark an article as read, it will be removed from the
cache when you exit the group, but the * mark still shows until then.
Most marks show what *will* happen when you exit the summary, but for a
reason I've never understood, the * mark shows the current state
(cached) and some other mechanism results in it getting removed when you
exit the group.

So I think all you have to do is ignore this. The * should be gone the
next time you enter that group.

It can also be removed with M-*.

See the Article Caching section of the Gnus info page.

Dan
Uwe Brauer
2015-05-24 19:36:09 UTC
Post by Dan Christensen
Post by Uwe Brauer
[...]
Ah right, sometimes I toggle that on and off and forget about. thanks

Uwe