anything newer than emacs-w3m for rendering html
Harry Putnam
2014-12-18 21:22:56 UTC
Is there a more recent or better way to render html messages than
emacs-w3m?

Near as I can tell, the last release was 10 yrs ago.

Even w3m itself dates back to 2011.
Adam Sjøgren
2014-12-18 18:31:17 UTC
Post by Harry Putnam
Is there a more recent or better way to render html messages than
emacs-w3m?
The default has been shr the last couple (?) of years:

,----[ C-h v mm-text-html-renderer RET ]
| mm-text-html-renderer is a variable defined in `mm-decode.el'.
| Its value is shr
|
| Documentation:
| Render of HTML contents.
| It is one of defined renderer types, or a rendering function.
| The defined renderer types are:
| `shr': use the built-in Gnus HTML renderer;
| `gnus-w3m': use Gnus renderer based on w3m;
| `w3m': use emacs-w3m;
| `w3m-standalone': use plain w3m;
| `links': use links;
| `lynx': use lynx;
| `html2text': use html2text;
| nil : use external viewer (default web browser).
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 24.1 of Emacs.
`----

shr is available as a stand-alone browser using M-x eww

Best regards,

Adam
--
"Subdued flamboyance" Adam Sjøgren
***@koldfront.dk
Malcolm Purvis
2014-12-19 03:10:22 UTC
Adam> The default has been shr the last couple (?) of years:

I'll second this.

I recently switched from emacs-w3m to shr and I've found it a much
better renderer.

Malcolm
Malcolm Purvis <***@purvis.id.au>
Harry Putnam
2014-12-19 17:22:10 UTC
Good to hear. Did it require any special lisp in gnus.el?
Steinar Bang
2014-12-20 09:06:13 UTC
Post by Harry Putnam
Good to hear. Did it require any special lisp in gnus.el?
Don't know, but it does require libxml2.so (libxml2.dll on Windows) to
be linked into Gnus at runtime.
Malcolm Purvis
2014-12-21 11:28:47 UTC
Post by Malcolm Purvis
I recently switched from emacs-w3m to shr and I've found it a much
better renderer.
Harry> Good to hear. Did it require any special lisp in gnus.el?

No. Since it's the default all I had to do was remove the line which set
mm-text-html-renderer to 'w3m.

Malcolm
Malcolm Purvis <***@xemacs.org>
Filipp Gunbin
2014-12-18 22:07:41 UTC
Post by Harry Putnam
Is there a more recent or better way to render html messages than
emacs-w3m?
Near as I can tell, the last release was 10 yrs ago.
Even w3m itself dates back to 2011.
You can check out and install emacs-w3m from cvs, see [1]. It is
well-maintained. And it's great! :)

[1] http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/#download
Harry Putnam
2014-12-19 02:11:12 UTC
Post by Filipp Gunbin
Post by Harry Putnam
Is there a more recent or better way to render html messages than
emacs-w3m?
Near as I can tell, the last release was 10 yrs ago.
Even w3m itself dates back to 2011.
You can check out and install emacs-w3m from cvs, see [1]. It is
well-maintained. And it's great! :)
Not sure what you mean by `well maintainted'.. The page you cite
appears to say the most recent version was released in 2005. No new
versions since then.
Lars Ingebrigtsen
2015-01-26 03:40:33 UTC
Post by Harry Putnam
Not sure what you mean by `well maintainted'.. The page you cite
appears to say the most recent version was released in 2005. No new
versions since then.
emacs-w3m no longer does "releases", but it's actively maintained. You
just have to pull it down via CVS.