Search gmane from gnus?
Rainer M Krug
2014-09-23 07:51:12 UTC
Hi

Is there a way of searching a newgroup (e.g. this one) on gmane from
within gnus / emacs? I mean I can always display all messages (/o) and
then search for e.g. author (/a) - but this takes *ages* in big
newsgroups.

If there is no way, is there a way of copying all new messages of a
newsgroup (and preferably the old ones as well) into a different folder
in gnus?

I use notmuch to index my local maildir and the search is brilliant.

Cheers,

Rainer
--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982
Christoph Groth
2014-09-23 08:01:57 UTC
Post by Rainer M Krug
Is there a way of searching a newgroup (e.g. this one) on gmane
from within gnus / emacs? I mean I can always display all
messages (/o) and then search for e.g. author (/a) - but this
takes *ages* in big newsgroups.
Simply pressing "G G" in the group buffer with the point on the
gmane group should work out of the box and without configuration.
See
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Setting-up-nnir.html.
Rainer M Krug
2014-09-23 08:14:35 UTC
Post by Rainer M Krug
Is there a way of searching a newgroup (e.g. this one) on gmane from
within gnus / emacs? I mean I can always display all messages (/o)
and then search for e.g. author (/a) - but this takes *ages* in big
newsgroups.
Simply pressing "G G" in the group buffer with the point on the gmane
group should work out of the box and without configuration. See
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Setting-up-nnir.html.
Shame on me - I overwrote the "G G" to do a notmuch search - removed it,
working now.

Thanks,

Rainer
--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982
Adam Sjøgren
2014-09-24 08:34:20 UTC
Post by Rainer M Krug
Shame on me - I overwrote the "G G" to do a notmuch search - removed it,
working now.
You can configure nnir to use notmuch on the relevant groups - just put
(nnir-search-engine notmuch) in the appropriate places.

I.e. I have:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
'(
(nnml ""
(nnir-search-engine notmuch))
(nntp "news.gmane.org"
[...]

and:

(setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "archive"
(nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
(nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
(nnml-get-new-mail nil)
(nnir-search-engine notmuch)
(nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))

With this G G automatically uses notmuch in by nnml-groups.

I guess one needs to keep the notmuch index up to date "by hand"...

Best regards,

Adam
--
"if we are questioned, we tell the observers, april Adam Sjøgren
fools, and leave the area before you are also fooled ***@koldfront.dk
by this day with our bricks."
Adam Sjøgren
2014-09-24 08:42:33 UTC
Post by Adam Sjøgren
You can configure nnir to use notmuch on the relevant groups
I meant "the relevant servers"...

:-),

Adam
--
"Du har brug for en Adam Sjøgren
der er meget stærkere end mig ***@koldfront.dk
Jeg vælter lige så let som dig"
Rainer M Krug
2014-09-24 08:53:07 UTC
Post by Adam Sjøgren
Post by Rainer M Krug
Shame on me - I overwrote the "G G" to do a notmuch search - removed it,
working now.
You can configure nnir to use notmuch on the relevant groups - just put
(nnir-search-engine notmuch) in the appropriate places.
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
'(
(nnml ""
(nnir-search-engine notmuch))
(nntp "news.gmane.org"
[...]
(setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "archive"
(nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
(nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
(nnml-get-new-mail nil)
(nnir-search-engine notmuch)
(nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))
Good idea - But as I can search on gmane directly, I think I will stop
archiving all newsgroups locally.

Thanks a lot,

Rainer
PGP: 0x0F52F982
Adam Sjøgren
2014-09-24 13:46:29 UTC
Post by Rainer M Krug
Good idea - But as I can search on gmane directly, I think I will stop
archiving all newsgroups locally.
That makes sense - I only used notmuch for searching my email.

Best regards,

Adam
--
"I pragmatically turn my whims into principles!" Adam Sjøgren
***@koldfront.dk