Gnus hangs
Óscar Fuentes
2015-05-06 23:11:49 UTC
On the Gnus Summary buffer, after pressing `g', Gnus hangs displaying
the message

Reading active file via nndraft...done

Pressing `Ctrl-g' makes Gnus responsive again, although it aborts the
operation.

This happens frequently (I'll say once every five `g's, on average). I'm
observing the problem since a long time ago (years). Currently I'm using

GNU Emacs 25.0.50.4 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit) of 2015-04-12

Gnus v5.13

Any advice on how to diagnose this?
Eric Abrahamsen
2015-05-07 03:14:16 UTC
Post by Óscar Fuentes
On the Gnus Summary buffer, after pressing `g', Gnus hangs displaying
the message
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Pressing `Ctrl-g' makes Gnus responsive again, although it aborts the
operation.
This happens frequently (I'll say once every five `g's, on average). I'm
observing the problem since a long time ago (years). Currently I'm using
GNU Emacs 25.0.50.4 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit) of 2015-04-12
Gnus v5.13
Any advice on how to diagnose this?
The only thing I can think of is something that many of us have
encountered, which is that long-running connections die or get cut off,
and Gnus doesn't know it. That can lead to timeouts/hangs when you try
to re-use a zombie connection.

The nndraft message shouldn't be significant, it's just the last
operation to successfully complete before the hang began.

"Once every five g's" sounds a little odd for this problem, because most
of us have it after some network reconnection (after wake from suspend,
after VPN on/off, etc), but it's the only thing I can think of.

When I suspect I'm going to have the problem, I hit "z" for
`gnus-group-suspend'. That closes all the servers, so the next refresh
re-establishes connections.

`gnus-group-suspend' is a little heavy-duty for this: all you'd really
need is:

(progn
(gnus-offer-save-summaries)
(dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
(gnus-close-server (car elem))
(setcar (cdr elem) 'closed)))

HTH,

Eric
Óscar Fuentes
2015-05-07 23:12:15 UTC
Post by Eric Abrahamsen
Post by Óscar Fuentes
[...]
Thanks. I think that the problem sometimes happens when Gnus starts,
which would rule out your hypothesis, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll use
your trick before updating the summary buffer and see if it avoids the
hang.
Igor Sosa Mayor
2015-05-08 09:41:00 UTC
Post by Óscar Fuentes
Post by Eric Abrahamsen
`gnus-group-suspend' is a little heavy-duty for this: all you'd really
(progn
(gnus-offer-save-summaries)
(dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
(gnus-close-server (car elem))
(setcar (cdr elem) 'closed)))
Thanks. I think that the problem sometimes happens when Gnus starts,
which would rule out your hypothesis, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll use
your trick before updating the summary buffer and see if it avoids the
hang.
please let us know... I also have these annoying hangs...

many thanks in advance!
--
:: Igor Sosa Mayor :: ***@gmail.com ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890 :: http://www.gnupg.org/ ::
:: jabberid: rogorido :: ::
Adam Sjøgren
2015-05-07 08:39:26 UTC
Post by Óscar Fuentes
Any advice on how to diagnose this?
Before pressing 'g', do M-x toggle-debug-on-quit and when Gnus hangs,
press C-g to get a backtrace.

Maybe that can give some more information.

Best regards,

Adam
--
"The speed at which I write by hand is almost Adam Sjøgren
perfectly synchronized with the speed at which I ***@koldfront.dk
and that interrupts the flow."
Óscar Fuentes
2015-05-07 23:05:16 UTC