large number of References: breaks gnus when tramp is in use
Wes Hardaker
2014-12-22 14:35:42 UTC
When entering a (nnmaildir) group with a references header (pretty much
always spam) that contains a huge number of ids, entering the group crashes with:

tramp-completion-file-name-handler: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

The References: header in question looks like:

(I didn't count how many, but it's a lot; about 2*80*59 characters
worth, guessing)

So, the odd thing to me is why is the tramp hook being called for the
references header in the first place? Is that message id trying to be
file-opened? And if so, why?
--
Wes Hardaker
My Pictures: http://capturedonearth.com/
My Thoughts: http://pontifications.hardakers.net/
Lars Ingebrigtsen
2015-01-26 03:31:17 UTC
Post by Wes Hardaker
When entering a (nnmaildir) group with a references header (pretty much
tramp-completion-file-name-handler: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size
[...]
Post by Wes Hardaker
So, the odd thing to me is why is the tramp hook being called for the
references header in the first place? Is that message id trying to be
file-opened? And if so, why?
Yeah, this seems like a Tramp bug of some kind. If you set
`debug-on-error', are you able to get a backtrace? That might give us a
clue as to what is calling Tramp here.